
Last night, I delivered a keynote lab speech. For those unfamiliar with a keynote lab, it is one of the most challenging speaking environments because you are evaluated by experienced international speakers on every aspect of your performance. They assess your stage presence, speech pace, body language, audience connection, vocal variation, content, delivery style, flow, and the overall experience you create. You have just seven minutes to demonstrate your expertise and leave a lasting impact. Every second matters.
I have been speaking for many years and have stood on countless stages. I have spoken to thousands of people, trained leaders, and coached individuals to become confident communicators. Yet, for the first time in my speaking journey, I felt something I had never experienced before. I felt it in my stomach before I even stepped onto the stage, and as my speech progressed, I felt myself slowly losing my presence. Most people in the audience probably never noticed. However, a few people who had seen me speak before sensed that something was different. More importantly, I knew something had changed.
When I woke up this morning, I did not want to criticize myself. Instead, I wanted to understand what had happened. Reflection has always been one of my greatest teachers because growth begins when we become curious instead of judgmental. Rather than asking, "Why did I fail?" I asked myself, "What was my body trying to tell me?"
The first realization came when I thought about the timer. My speech had originally been designed and rehearsed for eight minutes. Later, I was informed that I would only have seven minutes. To many people, losing one minute may not seem significant, but for a keynote speaker, one minute can completely change the rhythm, storytelling, and emotional impact of a presentation. Although I shortened parts of my speech, I now realize my brain had already been programmed to deliver the eight-minute version.
The moment I looked at the countdown timer, my attention shifted. Instead of being fully present with my audience, I became focused on time. I found myself mentally calculating whether I would finish, deciding which parts to shorten, and thinking about the next slide instead of the people sitting in front of me. My attention moved away from connection and towards completion. That single shift changed everything. I was no longer speaking with my audience; I was racing against the clock.
Then another realization emerged. As I noticed myself losing my presence, I became even more aware of it. Ironically, that awareness made it harder to recover. My mind started observing itself instead of simply being in the moment. The more I tried to regain my calmness, the more I could feel my nervous system becoming activated. As someone who studies psychology and the science of human behaviour, I found it fascinating to experience firsthand how quickly our internal dialogue can influence our external performance.
I also recognized that my body was simply tired. My speech was scheduled at 9:15 in the evening after a long and demanding day. By that time, my body was naturally preparing to rest. We often expect ourselves to perform at the same level regardless of the time of day, but our physiology tells a different story. Energy levels, concentration, and emotional regulation are all influenced by fatigue. My body was not working against me; it was responding exactly as a healthy human body does after a full day.
As I continued reflecting, I came to one final realization that brought me peace. No matter how many stages I stand on or how much experience I gain, I will always be a work in progress. Every speech will not feel the same. Every audience connection will not be identical. Some speeches will flow effortlessly, while others will challenge me in unexpected ways. That is not a weakness; it is simply part of being human. We often expect ourselves to deliver perfection every single time, yet growth has never come from perfection. Growth comes from experience, reflection, and the willingness to learn.
When I arrived home, I shared my experience with my daughter. I expected her to comfort me about the speech, but instead she reminded me of something far more important. She looked at me and said, "The most important thing is that you did it anyway. You were there. You took care of me, got me ready for bed, and then you went to do your speech. You are always there. Thank you, Mummy."
Her words instantly changed my perspective. In that moment, I realized that while I had been measuring my evening by seven minutes on a stage, she had been measuring it by something much greater. She wasn't thinking about my stage presence, my vocal variety, or whether I finished on time. She saw something I had almost forgotten to see myself—my commitment, my courage, and my love.
Last night reminded me that success is not about delivering a perfect performance every single time. Success is showing up, even when you feel tired. Success is stepping onto the stage despite the butterflies in your stomach. Success is reflecting honestly when things do not go as planned and choosing to grow instead of giving up.
The next time I stand on a stage, I will certainly prepare my content, refine my slides, and rehearse my timing. But more importantly, I will remind myself that my greatest responsibility is not to the timer—it is to the people sitting in front of me. Presence is never created by perfectly managing the clock. Presence is created when we stop worrying about time and start connecting with people. And perhaps that was the greatest lesson hidden within those seven minutes
Maashaa Alllah... a powerful reminder for all of us! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteBeing present to our audiences is the most important element of speaking. That means we must prepare, know our content, speak slowly, pause, gauge audience reaction and be ready to pivot if needed, based on THEIR needs.
ReplyDelete