Skip to main content

When We Call It Ego: Understanding Judgment, Perception and the Many Faces of the Self

As I was sitting and listening to conversations, I found myself reflecting on how quickly we are to judge another person based on their actions without taking a moment to step into their shoes. We see a behaviour, interpret it through our own lens, attach meaning to it, and very quickly create a label: “She is proud.” “He has an ego.” “She thinks she is better than everyone.” “He is arrogant.” Yet we rarely know what is happening beneath that behaviour or what experiences have shaped the way a person responds to a particular situation. This made me wonder: how much of what we call ego actually belongs to the person we are observing, and how much belongs to the person doing the observing?

The Human Tendency to Label

Our minds naturally try to make sense of people and situations. We observe behaviour and immediately try to determine what it means. This can help us navigate relationships, but it can also become problematic when we mistake our interpretation for reality. Someone may speak confidently in a meeting and we may call them arrogant. Someone else may speak very little and we may assume they are unfriendly or proud. A person may not approach others at a social gathering and we may interpret that as thinking they are better than everyone else. Someone may openly celebrate an achievement and we may immediately describe it as ego. But what else could that behaviour mean? A person who appears distant may be overwhelmed. Someone who seems overly confident may actually be hiding insecurity. Someone who is quiet may simply need time to feel comfortable. A person who struggles to communicate in one environment may communicate very differently when they feel safe. The same behaviour can carry completely different meanings depending on the individual, the environment and the circumstances.

Is It Ego, or Is It Perception?

Consider someone who is nervous in a particular environment but does not want anyone to know. Instead of showing their nervousness, they become quiet, serious or reserved. Another person observes this and thinks, “She has an attitude.” But what actually happened? One person experienced nervousness; the other experienced an interpretation of that behaviour. So where does the ego lie? Is it in the person who does not realise how they are being perceived, or could there also be ego in the person who assumes their interpretation must be correct?

This does not mean that every judgment is wrong. People can genuinely behave arrogantly, disrespect others or deliberately present themselves as superior. The point is that we cannot always know someone's intention from one interaction. There is a meaningful difference between saying, “That person is arrogant,” and saying, “That behaviour came across to me as arrogant.” The first defines the person's character, while the second acknowledges that we are describing our own perception. That distinction leaves space for curiosity and understanding.

The Same Behaviour Can Mean Different Things

Human beings respond differently to different environments. Personality, upbringing, previous experiences, culture, confidence, emotional state and social expectations all influence behaviour. One person may become talkative when nervous, while another becomes quiet. One may laugh when uncomfortable, while another becomes serious. One may openly celebrate success, while another may feel uncomfortable receiving praise. None of these reactions, by themselves, tells us the complete story.

This is why it is important to look beyond behaviour and ask what might be influencing it. What happened before this interaction? What might this person be experiencing? Is this their usual behaviour or are they responding to something specific? What assumptions am I bringing into the situation? Most importantly, am I seeing the person, or am I seeing my interpretation of the person?

When Confidence Becomes “Ego”

Success provides another interesting example. Imagine someone works hard for years and finally achieves something meaningful. They are excited, celebrate their achievement and share their happiness with others. Someone watching them may say, “They have become so full of themselves.” But is celebrating success automatically arrogance?

I don't think it is.

There is a difference between being proud of an accomplishment and believing that the accomplishment makes you superior to others. A person can say, “I am proud of what I achieved,” without saying, “I am better than you.” They can acknowledge their strengths without diminishing someone else's. They can know their worth without believing they are worth more than everyone else.

This is where confidence and ego can become confused. Confidence says, “I know what I bring to the table.” Ego says, “I am better than everyone sitting at the table.” The distinction is not always in what a person has, but in how they position themselves in relation to others.

Psychology and the Meaning of Ego

In everyday language, we often use “ego” to describe arrogance, self-importance or an inflated sense of superiority. Psychology, however, offers a more nuanced understanding. In Freud's psychoanalytic theory, the ego was not simply something negative. It served an important function in navigating between instinctive desires, moral demands and the realities of the external world. In that sense, having a sense of self is not inherently unhealthy. We need a functioning sense of self to make decisions, regulate ourselves and interact with the world.

The difficulty arises when our sense of self becomes overly dependent on maintaining an image, receiving admiration, proving our worth or protecting ourselves from anything that threatens our identity. Modern psychology therefore approaches many of the behaviours we casually call “ego” through concepts such as narcissism, self-esteem, self-concept, defensiveness, social comparison and self-enhancement.

This distinction is important because what looks like arrogance may sometimes be insecurity, while what looks like arrogance to one person may simply be confidence to another. Human behaviour is more complex than the labels we attach to it.

The Ego Also Wants to Be Right

There is another form of ego that is easy to overlook: the need to be right about other people.

Once we decide that someone is arrogant, selfish, difficult or attention-seeking, we may begin interpreting everything they do through that label. If they speak, we see showing off. If they are quiet, we see attitude. If they celebrate, we see attention-seeking. If they establish a boundary, we see selfishness. Their behaviour becomes evidence for a conclusion we have already reached.

This raises an uncomfortable question: Could my certainty about another person's character also be influenced by my own ego?

Sometimes ego is not the loud voice saying, “I am better than you.” Sometimes it is the quieter voice saying, “I already know exactly who you are.”

The Philosophical Question of the Self

Philosophy has long explored the nature of the self. Who am I? What makes me who I am? How much of my identity comes from my own understanding, and how much is shaped by the way others see me?

One important philosophical insight is that our perception is not necessarily the same as reality. We experience the world through our own minds, and our memories, beliefs, expectations and experiences influence how we interpret what we see. Two people can witness exactly the same behaviour and arrive at completely different conclusions. One sees confidence; another sees arrogance. One sees independence; another sees selfishness. One sees self-respect; another sees pride.

The behaviour may be identical, but the meaning assigned to it is different.

That is why self-awareness requires us to examine not only what we think about others, but also why we think it.

The Islamic Perspective

From an Islamic perspective, this reflection becomes even deeper because Islam places great importance on humility, intention and the condition of the heart. The Qur'an warns against arrogance and looking down upon others, reminding believers not to walk upon the earth with pride or behave as though they are superior to others.

At the same time, humility does not require a person to deny their abilities or pretend they have achieved nothing. A person can acknowledge their strengths, appreciate their accomplishments and feel grateful for their blessings. The important question is what those achievements do to the heart.

Do I see my success as a reason to look down on others, or do I see it as a blessing and responsibility from Allah?

There is a significant difference between saying, “I am grateful for what I have achieved,” and saying, “I am better than you because of what I have achieved.” The first can be rooted in gratitude; the second can become arrogance.

The Prophet Muhammad ﷺ also described arrogance in terms that go beyond simply appearing confident, connecting it with rejecting truth and looking down upon people. This distinction matters because confidence alone is not arrogance. A person can carry themselves with confidence while remaining respectful and humble.

The deeper spiritual question is therefore not simply, “How do I appear to others?” but also, “What is happening inside my heart?”

Humility Does Not Mean Making Yourself Small

Humility is sometimes misunderstood as constantly putting ourselves down. We may think that being humble means never talking about our achievements, never accepting praise or always making ourselves smaller.

But humility is not the absence of self-worth.

A humble person can recognise their strengths while recognising the strengths of others. They can celebrate an achievement without believing it makes them superior. They can accept a compliment without needing to become the centre of attention. They can lead without treating others as beneath them.

Perhaps true humility is not thinking less of yourself. It is simply refusing to think more of yourself than you should.

Ego and Attachment

When I think about ego more deeply, I wonder whether much of it is connected to attachment. We become attached to being right, admired, respected, successful or seen in a particular way. We also become attached to the identities we create for others: “He is arrogant.” “She is difficult.” “He is selfish.”

Once an identity becomes fixed in our minds, we stop allowing the person to be more complicated than the label. Yet people are constantly changing. They make mistakes, learn, grow, struggle and respond differently depending on what they are experiencing.

A person can behave poorly without being entirely defined by that behaviour. A person can also behave confidently without being arrogant. Human beings are not single moments. We are complex, changing and often contradictory.

Discernment Is Different from Judgment

This reflection is not about ignoring unhealthy behaviour or excusing disrespect. Boundaries matter, and accountability matters. We should be able to recognise behaviour that is harmful without needing to condemn the entire person.

There is a difference between discernment and judgment. Discernment asks, “Is this behaviour healthy for me, and how should I respond?” Judgment says, “I know exactly what kind of person you are.” Discernment helps us make wise decisions. Judgment can close the door to understanding.

We can establish boundaries without hatred. We can disagree without labelling. We can hold someone accountable without pretending to know their entire story. We can recognise behaviour without turning that behaviour into someone's permanent identity.

So, Who Has the Ego?

Coming back to the question that started this reflection: who has the ego—the person behaving in a certain way or the person perceiving it?

Sometimes it may be the person behaving arrogantly. Sometimes our interpretation may be influenced by our own insecurities, assumptions or need to be right. Sometimes both people may be bringing their own ego into the interaction. And sometimes, neither person may be acting from ego at all. They may simply be experiencing the same situation through completely different internal worlds.

That is why self-awareness is more valuable than quick judgment. Before labelling someone, we can pause. Before deciding their intention, we can ask. Before calling someone arrogant, we can consider whether there is another explanation. And before examining their ego, we can examine our own.

Perhaps the next time we are tempted to say, “That person has an ego,” we can pause and ask ourselves: What if I am only seeing one moment of a story I do not know? What if my perception is not the whole truth? What is happening within me as I judge what is happening within them?

We do not have to excuse poor behaviour to practise understanding. We do not have to agree with someone to respect their humanity. We do not have to make ourselves smaller to remain humble, nor do we have to make others smaller to feel secure.

Maybe maturity is learning to hold two truths at the same time: I can recognise what I see, while accepting that I may not know the whole story.

Perhaps the real lesson about ego is not learning to identify it in everyone else. It is becoming honest enough to recognise it within ourselves. Because sometimes the person we are so quick to label as arrogant may simply be someone whose story we have never taken the time to understand. And sometimes, the ego we are trying so hard to identify in someone else may be quietly asking us to look at our own reflection

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why We Become a Child Again Around Our Mother

They say a mother can take your pain away and make you feel like a child again.  It is true—not just in a poetic sense, but in a very real psychological way. After living with my in-laws for some time, I started to notice something strange whenever I visited my mother. The moment I entered her home, something inside me shifted. My voice softened. I felt lighter. I would leave responsibilities at the door and sit on the floor or curl up on the sofa like I used to. I was not acting strong or trying to be put together—I simply became… myself. A softer, more vulnerable, more peaceful version of who I am. I often found myself wondering,  “Is this really me? Or am I just slipping into some old pattern?” That question stayed with me until I started reading about the neuroscience and psychology behind it. What I learned made everything make sense. The Brain Remembers Safety Our brains are wired to remember emotions. When you are around your mother—especially if she represents love, sa...

When Pain Finds a Voice: A Story That Mirrors the Lives of Many Women

With my client’s full consent—while keeping her identity protected—I am sharing a story that reflects the silent suffering many women carry in their hearts. As I sat listening to her, I realised how deeply emotional distress shapes a woman’s life, and how many endure heartbreaking experiences behind closed doors. No woman should ever face such pain alone, yet her story echoes countless untold stories in our society. What moved me most was the resilience in her voice. She did not speak like someone defeated. She spoke like a woman who will one day look back and recognise the strength it took to speak up, to rise, and to share her truth so that even one other woman may find the courage to change her life. She discovered her husband had been cheating on her, but long before the betrayal surfaced, she had been living under constant criticism and fault-finding. While she devoted herself to raising their three children—building a home filled with warmth, stability, cleanliness, and love—he d...

My Experience in HDh. Kulhudhuffushi

My recent trip to HDh. Kulhudhuffushi for a training and group coaching turned out to be much more than a professional assignment—it became a journey of learning, connection, and cultural discovery. Having lived all my life in the capital city, Malé, I have always been familiar with its fast pace, modern lifestyle, and limited sense of community due to the city’s busy rhythm. Although I used to travel to islands as a child, years passed without such experiences. Now, traveling as a professional—conducting training and coaching sessions—has given a completely new meaning to island visits. Kulhudhuffushi, often called the “heart of the north,” is one of the largest and most vibrant islands in the northern Maldives. It serves as the main hub of Haa Dhaalu Atoll, connecting the surrounding islands through its port and domestic airport. The island is well-developed, with schools, healthcare facilities, shops, and cafés, yet it still carries the charm of island life—peaceful, community-drive...