Skip to main content

Maldivian: When Customer Feedback Becomes Visible Change


Last month, I travelled to Hdh. Kulhudhufushi for an official trip in collaboration with Zedex Abroad to conduct a series of public awareness sessions for parents and students. It was a meaningful professional engagement where we focused on career guidance for O’Level and A’Level students, self-awareness, emotional intelligence, purpose, leadership, managing time and stress during examinations, and a dedicated parent awareness session on conscious parenting.

I remember the journey there quite vividly. We travelled via Maldivian, and it was drizzling that day. I was carrying my laptop and, as we made our way towards the aircraft, I could see passengers getting soaked in the rain. I remember feeling a little upset about the experience, not because of the rain itself, but because of how the situation was being handled. When you are travelling for work, especially carrying equipment, these small experiences can make a difference.

While on my way to the flight, I contacted the lounge service manager and also shared my experience with a friend of mine. I mentioned what I had experienced at the airport and how the customer journey could have been better. At the time, it was simply feedback. I did not know whether anything would come from it.

On our return to Malé, something immediately caught my attention. Even though it was not raining, a bus transfer had been arranged to take passengers from the aircraft to the terminal. It was a small change, but I noticed it. I remember thinking that perhaps the feedback had reached the right people and that someone had taken the time to look at the experience from the passenger's perspective.

Today, as I sit here getting ready for another flight to Kulhudhufushi for another professional engagement, I can see the same improvement again. This time, I am sitting here not only as a passenger but also as a customer service trainer, and that makes the experience even more meaningful to me. This is what customer feedback should look like.

Customer feedback is not simply about receiving complaints, recording them, and moving on. Feedback becomes meaningful when an organisation listens, reflects, and takes action. Sometimes the change does not have to be dramatic. A small improvement in a process can completely change how a customer experiences an organisation.

As someone who conducts corporate training in customer service, I often speak about the importance of understanding the customer journey. We sometimes focus so much on the service we are providing that we forget to experience the service from the customer's point of view. What does the customer see? What do they feel? Where are the moments of frustration? Where can we make the experience easier, smoother, and more human?

This experience reminded me that customer service training is not only about teaching employees how to smile, greet customers, or communicate professionally. It is also about developing a culture where feedback is welcomed, taken seriously and translated into action.

There is also something deeply satisfying about witnessing this as a trainer. When we deliver customer service training, we talk about concepts such as listening, empathy, responsiveness, service recovery, and continuous improvement. But seeing a real-life example of feedback leading to an improved customer experience is different. You actually get to experience the result.

It also reminded me that feedback does not always come in the form of a formal survey. Sometimes it is a conversation. Sometimes it is a message to a manager. Sometimes it is a comment shared with a colleague. What matters is what happens after the feedback is received.

We often say, "We value our customers." But the real question is: How do we demonstrate that we value them?

One way is by listening. Another is by acting. The most powerful one is when the customer can actually see that their feedback made a difference.

As I prepare for another professional journey to Kulhudhufushi, I find myself appreciating this small but meaningful change. Last month, I was the customer experiencing something that could have been better. Today, I am the customer experiencing an improvement.

For someone who works in customer service training, that is a beautiful reminder that the principles we teach can create real change when organisations are willing to listen. Feedback is only feedback until someone does something with it. That is when it becomes improvement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

އަޅުގަނޑުމެން މި ބިމަށް އައުމުގެ ކުރިން: އާދަމުގެފާނާއި، އިބިލީހާއި އަދި އިންސާނީ ދަތުރުގެ ކީރިތި ޤުރުއާނުގެ ވާހަކަ

  ކީރިތި ޤުރުއާނުގެ އާޔަތްތައް އަޑުއަހާއިރު، ބައެއް ފަހަރު އެހެން އިހުސާސެއް ކުރެވޭ ވަގުތުތައް އާދެއެވެ. ކުރިން އެތައް ފަހަރަކު އަޑުއަހާފައިވާ އާޔަތެއް ނަމަވެސް، ކުއްލިއަކަށް ވަކި ލަފްޒުތަކަކާ މެދު ފުންކޮށް ވިސްނާލަން މަޖުބޫރުވެއެވެ. އަޅުގަނޑުމެން މި ދުނިޔެއަށް އައުމުގެ ކުރިން ހިނގާދިޔައީ ކޮން ކަންތައްތަކެއް ހެއްޔެވެ؟ އިންސާނުން އުފެއްދެވުމުގެ ކުރިން ހިނގީ ކޮން ކަމެއް ހެއްޔެވެ؟ އަޅުގަނޑުމެން އުފެއްދެވީ ކީއްވެގެން ހެއްޔެވެ؟ އަދި އާދަމުގެފާނުގެ ވާހަކައާއި، ވަސްވާހާއި، އިޚްތިޔާރާއި، މަސްއޫލިއްޔަތާއި، ތައުބާވުމާއި އަދި ތެދުމަގާ މިހާ ބޮޑަށް ގުޅިފައިވަނީ ކީއްވެގެން ހެއްޔެވެ؟ ސޫރަތުލް ބަޤަރާގެ އާޔަތްތައް އަޑުއަހަމުން ދިޔައިރު، އާދަމުގެފާނު އުފެއްދެވުމުގެ ވާހަކައާއި، ﷲ ތަޢާލާ އާއި މަލާއިކަތުންނާ ދެމެދު ދެކެވުނު ވާހަކަތަކުގެ ތެރެއަށް އަޅުގަނޑުގެ ސަމާލުކަން ހުއްޓުނެވެ. މި އާޔަތްތަކާ މެދު ފުންކޮށް ވިސްނާލުމުން، މިއީ ހަމައެކަނި އެންމެ ފުރަތަމަ އިންސާނާގެ ވާހަކައެއް ނޫންކަން އަޅުގަނޑަށް ފާހަގަކުރެވުނެވެ. މިއީ އިންސާނީ ތަޖުރިބާގެ ވަރަށް ފުން ތަޢާރަފެކެވެ. އިންސާނުން އުފެއްދެވުމުގެ ކުރިން: އާދަމު...

Why We Become a Child Again Around Our Mother

They say a mother can take your pain away and make you feel like a child again.  It is true—not just in a poetic sense, but in a very real psychological way. After living with my in-laws for some time, I started to notice something strange whenever I visited my mother. The moment I entered her home, something inside me shifted. My voice softened. I felt lighter. I would leave responsibilities at the door and sit on the floor or curl up on the sofa like I used to. I was not acting strong or trying to be put together—I simply became… myself. A softer, more vulnerable, more peaceful version of who I am. I often found myself wondering,  “Is this really me? Or am I just slipping into some old pattern?” That question stayed with me until I started reading about the neuroscience and psychology behind it. What I learned made everything make sense. The Brain Remembers Safety Our brains are wired to remember emotions. When you are around your mother—especially if she represents love, sa...

When Pain Finds a Voice: A Story That Mirrors the Lives of Many Women

With my client’s full consent—while keeping her identity protected—I am sharing a story that reflects the silent suffering many women carry in their hearts. As I sat listening to her, I realised how deeply emotional distress shapes a woman’s life, and how many endure heartbreaking experiences behind closed doors. No woman should ever face such pain alone, yet her story echoes countless untold stories in our society. What moved me most was the resilience in her voice. She did not speak like someone defeated. She spoke like a woman who will one day look back and recognise the strength it took to speak up, to rise, and to share her truth so that even one other woman may find the courage to change her life. She discovered her husband had been cheating on her, but long before the betrayal surfaced, she had been living under constant criticism and fault-finding. While she devoted herself to raising their three children—building a home filled with warmth, stability, cleanliness, and love—he d...