Skip to main content

Part Two: When Love Becomes Safety

    

    In my previous reflection, I found myself sitting with a simple but uncomfortable realisation: I came into this world with nothing, and one day I will leave this world with nothing. Yet, so much of my life, and perhaps much of human life, is spent wanting, holding on, expecting and becoming attached to people, places, possessions and experiences. That thought stayed with me because if everything is temporary, why do we find it so difficult to let go?

    As I continued reflecting on this, another question began to emerge: why do certain people become so important to us that their presence makes us feel safe, while their absence can make us feel as though a part of us is missing? Why does losing a relationship sometimes feel like losing our identity? Why can leaving a familiar place make us feel as though we no longer belong? And why do some attachments feel much deeper than the situation itself seems to explain?

    The more I explored these questions, the more I realised that perhaps our relationship with wanting and attachment does not begin in adulthood. It begins much earlier, through the experiences that teach us what safety feels like, where we find comfort, who we trust, and who we believe we need in order to feel okay.

    That realisation took me back to my own childhood and to the first person I associated with safety: my mother.

The Person Who Meant Home

    As I was growing up, I always believed that I could not live in an environment where my mother was not around. I was brought up by a single parent who, in many ways, had to play two roles in my life. She was my mother, but she was also the person carrying the responsibilities that might normally have been shared between two parents. As a result, I became very attached to her. She was not simply my mother; she represented home, familiarity, protection, comfort, and emotional safety. As a child, I did not have the psychological language to understand attachment or emotional dependency. I simply knew that having her around made me feel safe and that being away from her felt uncomfortable.

    When I look back at that little girl today, I realise that there was nothing unusual about what I was experiencing. Human beings are wired for attachment. From the earliest stages of life, we seek closeness to people who provide us with safety and protection. Our caregivers become some of our earliest references for understanding whether the world is safe, whether people can be trusted, and whether our needs will be responded to. These early experiences can influence the way we approach relationships later in life, although they do not permanently determine who we become. Our attachment patterns can continue to develop and change as we experience new relationships and different circumstances.

Leaving the Environment I Knew

    Then, at nineteen, I got married, and suddenly I found myself living in an environment that was completely different from the one I had grown up in. I was away from my mother, away from the familiar surroundings that had always represented home, and now I had to build a life within another family and another environment. At times, I felt like an outsider. There were moments when I questioned whether I really belonged there, even though I knew somewhere inside me that some of that feeling was coming from my own mind rather than necessarily from the people around me.

    This is something I understand differently today. When we enter an unfamiliar environment, our mind does not simply observe what is happening; it interprets it through everything we have previously experienced. If we have learned that familiarity equals safety, then unfamiliarity can easily feel like danger. If we have learned that belonging depends on being accepted by certain people, then entering a new environment can make us constantly look for signs that we are accepted or rejected. Sometimes nobody is actually telling us that we do not belong, but our own internal story is telling us that we are an outsider.

We Don't Just Attach to People

    The deeper I went into this subject, the more I realised that we do not only become attached to people; we become attached to what those people represent to us. My mother represented safety for me. For someone else, a partner may represent security. For another person, success may represent worth. Money may represent freedom. A particular home may represent stability. Recognition may represent acceptance. Sometimes what we think we cannot live without is not actually the person, place, or thing itself, but the emotional state we associate with it.

    This made me ask myself a much deeper question whenever I feel strongly attached to something: what does this person or situation represent to me? Am I attached to the person, or am I attached to the feeling I experience when I am with that person? Am I seeking love, or am I seeking reassurance that I am worthy of love? Am I wanting someone to stay because I genuinely want them in my life, or because their leaving would force me to face something within myself that I have been avoiding? These questions can be uncomfortable, but they can also be incredibly revealing.

The Child Within Us and the Need for Safety

    Psychology and neuroscience provide an interesting explanation for why attachment can feel so powerful. Our brains are constantly assessing our environment for safety and threat, and our relationships become an important part of that process. The people we are emotionally connected to can become associated with feelings of safety, comfort, and regulation. This is one reason why separation from someone we are deeply attached to can create such a strong emotional and even physical response. It is not simply a matter of thinking, "I miss this person." Our nervous system can respond to the disruption of an important relationship as though something significant has changed in our environment.

    This also helped me understand why sometimes our emotional reactions appear much stronger than the situation itself. The adult part of us may know that everything is going to be okay, but another part of us may still be asking, "Am I safe? Am I still loved? Do I still belong? Will I be left?" These questions can come from much earlier experiences and can become activated in adult relationships without us even realising where they originated. The fascinating part is that the brain is capable of learning new patterns. We are not permanently trapped by the emotional responses we developed earlier in life.

When Leaving Becomes a Lesson

    When I look back at my own journey, one of the things that amazes me is that I eventually learned something I once believed was impossible. I learned that I could live away from my mother. I could create a home in another environment. I could form relationships outside of the relationship I had with her. I could experience discomfort, unfamiliarity, and uncertainty and still survive it. More importantly, I began to discover that safety did not have to exist only in one person or one place.

    Perhaps this is one of the strange ways life teaches us. Sometimes we are moved away from what we believe we cannot live without, and through that experience we discover parts of ourselves that would have remained hidden if everything had stayed familiar. What initially feels like loss can sometimes become an opportunity to develop a different kind of strength. We learn that being uncomfortable does not necessarily mean that we are unsafe, and being unfamiliar does not necessarily mean that we do not belong.

The Difference Between Connection and Dependence

    As I explored attachment further, I began to understand that emotional independence does not mean becoming someone who does not need anyone. Human beings are relational beings. We need connection, affection, companionship, and belonging. There is nothing weak about needing people or allowing ourselves to love deeply. The problem begins when another person becomes responsible for our entire sense of safety, identity, or worth.

    There is a difference between saying, "I love you, and I want you in my life," and saying, "I cannot be okay without you." There is a difference between wanting someone beside us and believing that our life has no meaning without them. Healthy attachment does not require us to stop loving people; it allows us to remain connected to them without completely losing our connection to ourselves. Perhaps the goal is not detachment at all. Perhaps the goal is secure attachment, where we can love deeply while still knowing that we are capable of standing on our own.

Why Losing Someone Can Feel Like Losing Ourselves

    When someone becomes deeply woven into our lives, we do not only become attached to the person. We become attached to the routines, memories, roles, expectations, and future we imagined with them. This is why certain losses can feel so overwhelming. We may not simply be grieving the person; we may be grieving the version of ourselves that existed within that relationship and the future we thought we were going to have.

    This is why I think emotional healing is sometimes much deeper than simply telling ourselves to "move on." Sometimes we are not trying to move on from a person. We are trying to rediscover who we are without the role, relationship, or environment that once defined so much of our identity. We have to slowly separate who we are from what happened to us and from who we were with someone else. That process can be painful, but it can also be one of the most transformative experiences of our lives.

What Islam Teaches Us About Attachment

    When I brought this exploration back to my faith, I found something very comforting. Islam does not ask us not to love. In fact, love, family, compassion, and relationships are deeply woven into our lives. What Islam reminds us of is that everything in this world is temporary and that our ultimate dependence should not be placed entirely on something that is temporary.

    The Qur'an repeatedly reminds us about the temporary nature of worldly life and directs our attention toward what is lasting. This perspective changes the way we look at everything we have. Our parents, children, spouses, homes, careers, wealth, health, and even our own bodies are blessings and trusts from Allah. We are given them, we experience them, we love them, and we care for them, but ultimately they are not ours to possess forever.

    Perhaps this is where tawakkul becomes so powerful. Trusting Allah does not mean that we will never experience loss or disappointment. It means that when life changes, we have somewhere deeper to place our trust. People may leave, relationships may change, circumstances may shift, and things we thought would remain may disappear, but Allah remains. This understanding does not remove grief, but it can prevent grief from completely removing our sense of who we are.

Learning to Love Without Losing Ourselves

    I think one of the hardest lessons in life is learning how to love someone deeply without making them responsible for our entire emotional existence. We can love our parents without believing that we cannot survive without them. We can love our children without believing that they belong to us. We can love our partners without making them responsible for our self-worth. We can appreciate our homes, careers and achievements without allowing them to become the foundation of our identity.

    For me, this is where emotional freedom begins. It is not about becoming cold, distant or independent to the point that we no longer allow anyone to matter. It is about being able to say, "You matter to me, but you are not the entire definition of me." It is being able to love someone and still remain connected to yourself. It is understanding that another person's presence can add to your life without becoming the only reason your life feels meaningful.

Coming Back to Ourselves

    When I think about the little girl who once believed she could not live without her mother, I do not look at her with judgment. I understand her differently now. She was a child who had found her safest person, and naturally she wanted that person close. What I did not understand then was that life would eventually ask me to develop another kind of safety, one that did not depend entirely on another person's physical presence.

    Growing up, therefore, may not simply be about becoming older. Perhaps it is about slowly learning that the people who made us feel safe cannot always be responsible for our safety. Our parents grow older, our children grow up, relationships change, people leave, environments change, and life keeps moving. At some point, we have to learn how to become a safe place for ourselves.

    Perhaps this is where the philosophy from my first reflection comes back to me. I came into this world with nothing, and one day I will leave with nothing. The same is true of the people I love. They are not possessions that I can keep forever. They are people Allah has allowed me to experience, love, and learn from for however long our paths are meant to cross.

    Maybe knowing that everything is temporary should not make us love less. Perhaps it should teach us to love better. To appreciate people while they are here instead of constantly fearing when they will leave. To stop trying to control what cannot be controlled. To stop making another human being responsible for filling every empty space inside us. And perhaps most importantly, to understand that losing someone does not have to mean losing ourselves.

    I think that is the freedom I am slowly beginning to understand: I can love deeply without possessing, I can need connection without losing myself, I can experience loss without believing that my life has ended, and I can walk away from what is no longer meant for me while still carrying the love, lessons and growth that came from it.

    Maybe the real journey of attachment is not learning how to need nobody. Maybe it is learning that we can love people wholeheartedly while knowing that our deepest sense of safety, identity and belonging cannot rest entirely in another human being. And perhaps, after spending so much of our lives searching for home in other people, we eventually discover that home was something we were meant to build within ourselves, with Allah at the centre of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why We Become a Child Again Around Our Mother

They say a mother can take your pain away and make you feel like a child again.  It is true—not just in a poetic sense, but in a very real psychological way. After living with my in-laws for some time, I started to notice something strange whenever I visited my mother. The moment I entered her home, something inside me shifted. My voice softened. I felt lighter. I would leave responsibilities at the door and sit on the floor or curl up on the sofa like I used to. I was not acting strong or trying to be put together—I simply became… myself. A softer, more vulnerable, more peaceful version of who I am. I often found myself wondering,  “Is this really me? Or am I just slipping into some old pattern?” That question stayed with me until I started reading about the neuroscience and psychology behind it. What I learned made everything make sense. The Brain Remembers Safety Our brains are wired to remember emotions. When you are around your mother—especially if she represents love, sa...

When Pain Finds a Voice: A Story That Mirrors the Lives of Many Women

With my client’s full consent—while keeping her identity protected—I am sharing a story that reflects the silent suffering many women carry in their hearts. As I sat listening to her, I realised how deeply emotional distress shapes a woman’s life, and how many endure heartbreaking experiences behind closed doors. No woman should ever face such pain alone, yet her story echoes countless untold stories in our society. What moved me most was the resilience in her voice. She did not speak like someone defeated. She spoke like a woman who will one day look back and recognise the strength it took to speak up, to rise, and to share her truth so that even one other woman may find the courage to change her life. She discovered her husband had been cheating on her, but long before the betrayal surfaced, she had been living under constant criticism and fault-finding. While she devoted herself to raising their three children—building a home filled with warmth, stability, cleanliness, and love—he d...

My Experience in HDh. Kulhudhuffushi

My recent trip to HDh. Kulhudhuffushi for a training and group coaching turned out to be much more than a professional assignment—it became a journey of learning, connection, and cultural discovery. Having lived all my life in the capital city, Malé, I have always been familiar with its fast pace, modern lifestyle, and limited sense of community due to the city’s busy rhythm. Although I used to travel to islands as a child, years passed without such experiences. Now, traveling as a professional—conducting training and coaching sessions—has given a completely new meaning to island visits. Kulhudhuffushi, often called the “heart of the north,” is one of the largest and most vibrant islands in the northern Maldives. It serves as the main hub of Haa Dhaalu Atoll, connecting the surrounding islands through its port and domestic airport. The island is well-developed, with schools, healthcare facilities, shops, and cafés, yet it still carries the charm of island life—peaceful, community-drive...