Skip to main content

They See the Success, But They Don’t See the Grind

People only see the success. They see the money, the position, the business, the lifestyle, the recognition, and the person who has reached the top of the industry, but they don't see the sleepless nights, the grind, the sacrifices, the pressure, the failures, the rejection, the uncertainty, and the amount of effort that person has put in to reach that level. Recently, I had a conversation with someone who is very successful and at the top of the industry they are working in, and honestly, that conversation made me think a lot. I have had the opportunity to work with and meet a few successful individuals who are at the top of their industries, and every time I have a conversation with them, I become more amazed, not only by what they have achieved, but by the passion they continue to have for what they do. What really stood out to me is that when we look at successful people from the outside, we usually see the money, but when you actually sit with them and listen to their journey, you start seeing something completely different. You see the years of hard work, the discipline, the risks they took, the decisions they had to make, the failures they had to go through, and most importantly, the passion they have for creating something meaningful.

Sometimes we think that once a person becomes successful, they have somehow reached a point where life becomes easy, but when you speak to people who are genuinely successful, you realise that they are still working very hard. They are still learning, still thinking, still creating, still solving problems, and still looking for ways to improve. That is something I really admire. They don't seem to have this mindset of, “I have made it, now I can stop.” There is still a hunger in them. There is still curiosity. There is still the desire to grow and do better. And I think this is one of the biggest differences between people who simply want success and people who actually create it. They are not only motivated by the money. They are passionate about what they do. The money becomes one of the results of the value they create, but the work itself has meaning to them.

It also made me reflect on my own journey because when people see where you are today, they don't always know everything that happened before you got there. They may see me as a trainer, coach, speaker, and someone who has built a career around personal development, but they don't see all the years of learning, investing in myself, taking opportunities, putting myself out there, speaking to people, creating programmes, making mistakes, trying again, and continuing even when things were not always easy. I have trained thousands of people and coached many individuals, and I am grateful for every opportunity I have had, but I know very well that none of it happened overnight. There were many small decisions, many uncomfortable moments, and many times when I had to push myself to do something I was not completely ready for. Sometimes you have to become the person who can handle the opportunity before the opportunity can actually become yours.

I think this is where psychology becomes very interesting because we are naturally wired to look at outcomes and make assumptions about how those outcomes happened. We see someone who is successful and we think they are lucky, or they had the right connections, or they had money, or they had opportunities that we didn't have. Sometimes those things may be true, but we rarely know the complete story. We don't know how many years they spent preparing. We don't know how many times they failed. We don't know how many opportunities they lost. We don't know how many times they had to start again. We don't know the conversations they had with themselves when things were not working. We simply see the visible result and compare it with our own reality, and that is where comparison can become very unhealthy. We compare our behind-the-scenes with someone else's highlight reel, and then we start feeling that we are behind in life.

I have realised that instead of looking at successful people and asking, “Why don't I have what they have?” I would rather ask, “What can I learn from them?” That small shift changes the whole way you look at another person's success. Instead of feeling threatened by their success, you become curious about it. You start looking at their mindset, their habits, their decisions, their discipline, and the way they handle challenges. You start asking what they are doing that perhaps you can learn from. I think this is much healthier psychologically because comparison often makes us focus on what we are lacking, while curiosity makes us focus on what we can learn and what is possible for us.

One of the biggest things I noticed when speaking to successful individuals is that they don't seem to operate from a constant scarcity mindset. Money scarcity is something I think many people struggle with. We grow up hearing that there isn't enough money, there aren't enough opportunities, there aren't enough jobs, there isn't enough space for everyone to succeed, and sometimes we start carrying that belief without even realising it. Then when we see someone else succeeding, we feel that their success somehow reduces our chances. If someone gets an opportunity, we think we lost an opportunity. If someone becomes successful in our industry, we think there is less space for us. But what I have seen from many successful people is a different way of thinking. They seem to believe that they can create value, they can create opportunities, they can solve problems, and they can find another way. They don't necessarily see the world as a fixed pie where if someone gets more, there is automatically less left for everyone else.

This really made me think about the psychology of scarcity and abundance. When we are constantly thinking from scarcity, our brain becomes focused on what we don't have. We notice the money we don't have, the opportunities we missed, the people ahead of us, and the things that are going wrong. Fear becomes the lens through which we see life. But when we start thinking from possibility, our attention changes. We begin to look for solutions and opportunities. We become more willing to take action. We start seeing other people's success as evidence that something is possible rather than proof that we are failing. Of course, this does not mean that we ignore reality or become irresponsible with money. We still need to plan, budget, and make wise decisions. But there is a big difference between being financially responsible and being controlled by the fear that there will never be enough.

For me, this also connects very deeply with Islam because as Muslims, we believe in rizq. We believe that Allah is Ar-Razzaq, the Provider. That doesn't mean we sit back and wait for things to happen. We are still expected to make an effort, work hard, learn, take action, and use the opportunities Allah gives us, but at the same time, we understand that our provision ultimately comes from Allah. When you really internalise that, you start looking at other people's success differently. Why should I be jealous of someone's rizq? Why should I think that another person's success means there is less for me? Their rizq is theirs, and my rizq is mine. What Allah has written for me will reach me. That doesn't mean I don't have to work for it. It means I work hard without allowing fear to control me, and then I put my trust in Allah.

I think this is where tawakkul becomes so beautiful because tawakkul is not about doing nothing and saying, “Allah will take care of everything.” We have to tie our camel. We have to take the action. We have to prepare ourselves, develop our skills, make the phone call, start the business, apply for the opportunity, learn the skill, speak to the person, take the risk, and do what is within our control. Then we leave the outcome to Allah. Sometimes the outcome will be exactly what we wanted, sometimes it will be different, and sometimes we may not understand why something didn't work. But that doesn't mean our effort was wasted. Sometimes the lesson, the person we meet, the skill we develop, or the strength we build through the process becomes more valuable than the original outcome we were chasing.

I have experienced this in my own journey as well. There have been many moments where things didn't happen exactly as I expected, but later I realised that those experiences were teaching me something. They made me stronger, more self-aware, and more understanding of people. They helped me become a better coach and trainer because you cannot teach people about resilience if you have never had to develop your own. You cannot talk about growth without experiencing growth yourself. You cannot teach people about mindset without having to challenge your own mindset. A lot of what I teach today has come not only from books and qualifications but also from life, from observing people, from making mistakes, from learning, and from going through different seasons that forced me to become more conscious about who I am and how I respond to life.

Another thing that really stood out to me from these successful individuals is that they take action even when there is competition and even when failure is possible. This is something many of us struggle with because we want certainty before we move. We want to know that the business will work before we start it. We want to know that people will support us before we put ourselves out there. We want to know that we will succeed before we take the risk. But life doesn't work like that. Sometimes you have to move without knowing exactly what will happen. Psychologically, this is where self-efficacy becomes important. We often think confidence comes first and then we take action, but many times confidence is built because we take action. You do something uncomfortable, you survive it, you learn from it, and your brain gets evidence that you are capable. Then you take the next step, and slowly your belief in yourself becomes stronger.

This is why I believe action is one of the biggest differences between people who wish for a different life and people who actually create one. There are so many people who say they want to start something, change something, become something, or achieve something, but they remain in the wishing stage for years. They keep waiting for the perfect time, the perfect amount of money, the perfect confidence, the perfect opportunity, or someone to give them permission. Meanwhile, someone else who may not even be more talented than them simply starts. They start imperfectly, they make mistakes, they learn, they adjust, and they continue. Over time, those small actions become experience, and experience becomes competence. Competence builds confidence, and confidence makes it easier to take bigger actions.

That is why I don't think successful people are people who never fail. In fact, I think many successful people have failed more times than most people have even tried. The difference is how they interpret failure. One person fails and says, “This proves I can't do it.” Another person fails and says, “Okay, that didn't work. What can I learn from this?” The first person turns failure into an identity, while the second person turns failure into information. That is a huge psychological difference. When we see failure as information, we can adjust our behaviour. We can try another approach. We can develop another skill. We can ask for help. We can learn from someone who has already done it. Failure becomes part of the process rather than the end of the process.

And this is where Islam gives me another perspective because Allah reminds us in the Qur'an, “Perhaps you hate a thing, and it is good for you, and perhaps you love a thing, and it is bad for you. Allah knows, and you do not know.” Sometimes we think something not working means we have failed, but maybe that particular door was not meant for us. Maybe Allah is redirecting us. Maybe we are being prepared for something else. Maybe we need to learn something first. Maybe the timing is not right. We don't always understand the bigger picture while we are living inside one small part of the story. That is why faith allows us to keep moving without needing to understand everything.

When I look at successful people who are at the top of their industries, I also notice something else that makes me genuinely happy. Their success doesn't only benefit them. They provide for other people. They create jobs. They pay salaries. They give people opportunities to learn and develop. There are families that are supported because of the businesses they have created. There are young people who get their first opportunity because someone decided to build something. There are people who gain skills and experience because of the organisation someone had the courage to create. When you look at success from that perspective, it becomes much bigger than money. It becomes impact.

That is the kind of success that makes me happy to witness. When I see someone doing well, and I can see that their success is creating opportunities for other people, I don't think, “I wish I had what they have.” I think, “How beautiful that this person's effort is allowing other people to provide for their families too.” Because ultimately, our success doesn't have to stop with us. We can create a ripple effect. We can use our knowledge to teach others. We can use our business to employ others. We can use our influence to open doors. We can use our money to support people. We can use our experiences to make someone else's journey easier.

And this is also why I believe success should not only be measured by how much money someone has. Money is one measure, but impact is another. How many people have benefited because of your work? How many people have grown because you gave them an opportunity? How many families are supported because your organisation exists? How many people have learned something from you? How many people are better because you decided to do what you do? These questions make success much more meaningful to me because wealth without purpose can still leave a person empty, while success that creates value for others can have a much deeper meaning.

Islam also reminds us that what we have is an amanah, a trust. Our knowledge, our money, our skills, our position, and our opportunities are all things we can use responsibly. So when Allah gives someone success, perhaps one of the most beautiful things they can do is use that success to benefit others. It is not only about what you can take from life, but what you can give back. That is why I feel so much happiness when I see successful people creating employment and opportunities for others. I see the bigger picture. I see the families behind the employees. I see the children who benefit. I see the communities that are supported. I see the ripple effect.

The conversation I had recently reminded me again that we should not be too quick to judge someone's success from the outside. We don't know their story. We don't know their grind. We don't know what they sacrificed. We don't know how many times they failed. We don't know how many times they wanted to give up. We don't know how much they had to learn before they became good at what they do. We only see the result. And perhaps that is why we should stop comparing ourselves to people and start learning from them.

I also think we need to stop romanticising success. Success is beautiful, but the journey can be difficult. There will be stress, responsibility, pressure, uncertainty, and moments where you wonder whether it is worth it. The higher you go, the more responsibility you may have. So when you say, “I want what they have,” you also need to ask yourself, “Am I willing to carry what comes with it?” Because every level comes with a different responsibility. We often want the reward without thinking about the responsibility that comes with the reward.

Maybe that is why the grind matters so much. The grind is not only building the business or the career. The grind is building the person who can carry the business or career. It builds discipline. It builds resilience. It teaches patience. It teaches emotional regulation. It teaches you how to deal with rejection, criticism, uncertainty, and failure. It forces you to develop skills you may never have developed if everything had come easily. Sometimes the journey is preparing you for the very thing you are asking Allah for.

So today, when I look at successful people, I don't just look at their money anymore. I look at their mindset. I look at their passion. I look at their discipline. I look at their willingness to take action. I look at how they respond to failure. I look at what they do with their success. I look at how many people benefit from their work. And I feel grateful that I have had the opportunity to meet people who have reached such levels because they remind me that there is so much more possible when we stop allowing fear to control us and start taking responsibility for the actions we can take.

At the same time, I remind myself that my journey is my journey. I don't need to become someone else. I don't need to have exactly what someone else has. I don't need to follow their timeline. I need to continue building what Allah has given me the ability to build. I need to keep learning, keep serving, keep improving, and keep taking action. I need to focus on my lane while appreciating what I can learn from the people ahead of me. Their success can inspire me without making me feel less successful.

Maybe this is the biggest lesson I took from that conversation. People only see the success. They see the money, but they don't see the grind. They see the position, but they don't see the years of preparation. They see the confidence, but they don't see the moments of doubt. They see the business, but they don't see the risks. They see the results, but they don't see the discipline. They see the opportunity, but they don't see the years of becoming ready for that opportunity.

Perhaps we don't need everyone to see it. Because we know what we have walked through. We know the effort we have made. We know the moments when we wanted to stop but continued. And most importantly, Allah knows.

Allah sees the effort that nobody else sees. Allah knows the intention behind the work. Allah knows the nights nobody knows about. Allah knows the struggles that are never posted on social media. Allah knows the moments when you were trying to keep going even when you didn't know what the outcome would be.

So I don't want to live my life constantly looking at what someone else has and wondering why I don't have it. I want to look at successful people and become inspired. I want to learn from them. I want to ask better questions. I want to challenge my own limiting beliefs. I want to take more action. I want to think from possibility rather than fear. I want to trust that there is enough rizq, enough opportunity, and enough possibility in what Allah has written for me. And most importantly, I want whatever success comes into my life to be something that benefits other people too.

Because at the end of the day, success is not just about how much you earn. It is about what you create, what you contribute, who you help, and how many people are able to move forward because you decided to move forward yourself.

People may see the success one day. They may see the money, the business, the achievements, the recognition, and the opportunities. But they will never fully see the grind behind it. They will never see every early morning, every late night, every failure, every lesson, every risk, every prayer, and every time you chose to keep going. And that's okay. Because the world may see the result, but you know the journey, and Allah knows every step.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why We Become a Child Again Around Our Mother

They say a mother can take your pain away and make you feel like a child again.  It is true—not just in a poetic sense, but in a very real psychological way. After living with my in-laws for some time, I started to notice something strange whenever I visited my mother. The moment I entered her home, something inside me shifted. My voice softened. I felt lighter. I would leave responsibilities at the door and sit on the floor or curl up on the sofa like I used to. I was not acting strong or trying to be put together—I simply became… myself. A softer, more vulnerable, more peaceful version of who I am. I often found myself wondering,  “Is this really me? Or am I just slipping into some old pattern?” That question stayed with me until I started reading about the neuroscience and psychology behind it. What I learned made everything make sense. The Brain Remembers Safety Our brains are wired to remember emotions. When you are around your mother—especially if she represents love, sa...

When Pain Finds a Voice: A Story That Mirrors the Lives of Many Women

With my client’s full consent—while keeping her identity protected—I am sharing a story that reflects the silent suffering many women carry in their hearts. As I sat listening to her, I realised how deeply emotional distress shapes a woman’s life, and how many endure heartbreaking experiences behind closed doors. No woman should ever face such pain alone, yet her story echoes countless untold stories in our society. What moved me most was the resilience in her voice. She did not speak like someone defeated. She spoke like a woman who will one day look back and recognise the strength it took to speak up, to rise, and to share her truth so that even one other woman may find the courage to change her life. She discovered her husband had been cheating on her, but long before the betrayal surfaced, she had been living under constant criticism and fault-finding. While she devoted herself to raising their three children—building a home filled with warmth, stability, cleanliness, and love—he d...

My Experience in HDh. Kulhudhuffushi

My recent trip to HDh. Kulhudhuffushi for a training and group coaching turned out to be much more than a professional assignment—it became a journey of learning, connection, and cultural discovery. Having lived all my life in the capital city, Malé, I have always been familiar with its fast pace, modern lifestyle, and limited sense of community due to the city’s busy rhythm. Although I used to travel to islands as a child, years passed without such experiences. Now, traveling as a professional—conducting training and coaching sessions—has given a completely new meaning to island visits. Kulhudhuffushi, often called the “heart of the north,” is one of the largest and most vibrant islands in the northern Maldives. It serves as the main hub of Haa Dhaalu Atoll, connecting the surrounding islands through its port and domestic airport. The island is well-developed, with schools, healthcare facilities, shops, and cafés, yet it still carries the charm of island life—peaceful, community-drive...